View Single Post
Old 03-02-15, 12:45 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, but I can't seem to find the post in this thread where someone proclaim to be an expert and that his/her advice supersedes everything else.

Experience can be a very good teacher, but it can also be a very expensive teacher. While I'm always the first to advocate learning by doing, one has to realize that this method often leads to costly mistakes that could have been easily avoided had the person sought advice from "self-appointed experts". Advice can vary depending on the environment, as drivers in some cities may be more receptive to cyclocommuting than others. There is nothing wrong with BF posters sharing their own experiences and bits of advice in response to the OP's question, but hopefully the OP realizes that what works for some people may not work for others. Through trial and error, in addition to incorporating advice for more experienced riders, one can work out a system that suits their needs far more quickly than simply relying on just learning by doing. I found the advice, stories and testimonials of the smug self appointed experts here on BF to be absolutely invaluable in helping me become a safe commuter and I'm sure they can be helpful to the OP as well.

Hopefully, the OP will be wise enough to ignore the antagonistic rants in this thread and find the bits of info that can aid him/her in becoming a safe commuter.