Old 05-29-15, 06:37 PM
eyewannabike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STP Planning - 1 day vs 2, where to stop, solo gong to be a problem

I'm planning to do the STP. I've signed up and have done some training. I signed up for the CTS as well though I found the rides to be boring for all of the hills. it's really a training series for RSVP since none of the rides have the same characteristics as the STP. I'm planning to do some rides of Lake Washington and probably start doing the first 40 miles of STP and back or work up to that. I've got a novel strategy for the big hill in Puyallup.

I was thinking of doing this in 1 day vs 2. I have a friend who bikes a lot who invited me with his crew. They usually get to PDX by 2-3pm. There's no way that I could pace with them though, so I'm going to pass. I was thinking of doing one day, but I figure I'd get to Portland late and miss out on the food and beer. A day run seems better though I don't want to stop at 100 with a mess of other people. Going to 140 and staying in Longview seems better. I've heard the Lewis and Clark Bridge is really sketchy, so I'll probably just hire a car to take me over.

Anyone have any advice on the 1 day vs 2? I'm pretty sure I could do it in one day, but I'd probably get there late, have no socialization, go to bed and then just head home. Also, any suggestions on where to stay on the way down. I'm likely to book a hotel in longview though most are booked at this time. Money isn't going to be overly relevant. I'm happy to pay for a bed and shower and quiet if I'm riding this far.