Old 07-17-15, 11:37 AM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
The T frames use shaped down tubes, and I think the tubing is all engineered. The ST frame set built a great bike, but its the bottom of the barrell in terms of engineering iterations for Cannondale tubing. I think the T series is completely re-engineered tubeset, but you're suggesting its not. I can't believe they completely re-engineered the entire aluminum line but for some reason kept the ST bike exactly the same in terms of the tubing, but rebadged it from ST to T. Not sure I buy into that. Maybe our beloved ST bikes are the "stovepipe" of the Cannondale aluminum frame world, and the T series is the next engineering iteration. Exterior diameters don't really reveal much, just like on steel bikes.
I had considered that Cannondale left well enough alone with the ST series.
The oval seat stays remained in use for years on the T series, at least til the CAAD2 frame, and maybe until the
advent of the wishbone seat stay rear triangle. Dunno for sure.
I can see from my measurements that at least the down tube has changed.

The 3.0 series design changes arrived for the '80 model year.
I own at least 1 '89 ST frame, and is dimensionally the same as my 88's.
The 90's ST bikes have the larger down tubes, but still have the integrated seat post clamp.
I believe that the '91 frames are the same, but no 27" frame shown in the catalog.
Where does that leave those year ST designated frames in the evolution of things?
Would they also fall into the new "Super Grail" category?