Old 08-11-15, 10:52 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by rawklobster
If efficiency and wind are not variables, is there anything wrong with building a custom touring bike with geometry that leads to a more upright position?
For me, it's all about comfort, efficiency and wind. In the real world, of course, one cannot ignore either basic efficiency or wind. Particularly with injuries, limitations, heavy loads, and so on.

That said, I've always tended toward the comfort end of the spectrum, in terms of position. I've been willing to take the "hit" with respect to loss of aerodynamics, and so long as my basic efficiency wasn't impacted then that's a trade I've been comfortable with.

I've never cared, much, for how others believed it looked.

But particularly longer and harder rides, I've found the mix of pros/cons to be better served, overall, with greater comfort as opposed to comfort playing second fiddle to both efficiency and aerodynamics. Have had some bad, windy days, to be sure. And on those days, I certainly grumbled a bit. (Of course, that's where a good drop bar comes in handy.)

Originally Posted by rawklobster
I found this on Peter White Cycles... "You should not feel like you're about to fall forward when you lift off the handlebar. If it makes no difference to your back muscles whether you have your hands on the bars or not, you know that you aren't using your arms to support your upper body. If you are, your arms and shoulders will surely get tired on a long ride."
First I've seen that, but that's basically how I've approached saddle position over the years. Tried to keep the shoulders and arms relaxed; tried to keep the weight off the hands, at the given fitness level I had at the time; and tried to ensure I wasn't fatigued due to position at the end of each ride. So long as it wasn't too upright to blow things with respect to the wind or efficiency, it's always been my preference to lean that direction (so to speak).

Am currently at a bit more "cab-forward" than I prefer. Am about to install a more-relaxed bar this afternoon, actually. Ought to get me back to a more-relaxed position. And I'm sure my back, arms and general disposition will thank me for it.