Old 09-10-15, 12:55 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
When I'm in the middle of a long line of traffic, I like to be near the right rear quarter panel of the car in front of me. About where the exhaust pipe exits out
Why? You can become hidden by that vehicle in front to an opposing vehicle waiting to turn left, and if they try to cut the turn short immediately after the vehicle in front of you clears, that could be bad news for you.

It's always best to line up towards the left of the lane when in a traffic queue. That's how motorcycle riders are taught, for that very same reason.

Taking left turns wide is good. I believe the LAB and CyclingSavvy both teach that technique. In my CS course they also taught us to indicate towards the right, through the middle of the left turn, to help indicate to an opposing motorist turning right-on-red that I'm intending to get into the right travel lane or bike lane after I complete my turn, so they don't try to turn right and end up broadsiding me.