View Single Post
Old 10-10-15, 08:21 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@Yogacat, I'm a fairly new cyclist myself, you will figure it out. I went from a $37.50 mountain bike that I bought at a garage sale to a $600 entry level woman's road bike to now three nice road bikes and a time trial bike. That has taken me three years.

The key in my opinion is surrounding yourself with good people and more importantly listening to their good advice. Join a cycling club, ride with other people, find a good bike shop (easier said than done) & cultivate that relationship, read and post on bike forums (where there is a huge amount of static but also some really helpful & knowledge people).

Before you think about racing or organizing a charity ride, just focus on riding your bike for awhile. Buy a bike computer, join Strava and just ride for around 2000 miles or so. Get to know your strengths and weaknesses. Formulate a game plan as to what you'd like to do. I'd recommend starting with some challenging non-competitive events- test yourself against yourself before you attempt to test yourself against others.

Welcome to the world of cycling. It's something that will make your life better.