View Single Post
Old 10-16-15, 09:13 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Alls I know is even when basically untrained my ftp was 4.4-4.5 and all it meant was 1) people scratched their heads when I languished for years because they'd see me on group rides smashing things, but group rides are 1.5hrs long and anyone can fake it for that length of time, 2) when I started training correctly I had really funny ctl numbers for a while because my ftp exceeded my actual fitness capabilities by a wide margin, 3) I raced dumb because I didn't realize I was wasting energy until I was out of energy because 250w felt easy until it didn't because I had no base and ****ty repeatability.

I mention the above because I've always had some FTP and have not always had endurance, which is what @grolby be sayin. The point is that it is hard to say one thing matters more in a race than something else because everything works together to make success happen. The racing silver bullet is consistency mixed with proper periodization and an occasional tub of ice cream.
i don't really understand what you mean by 'my ftp exceed my actual fitness'?

are you saying something like 'i could ride 300w for 1h and collapse but i couldn't ride 2-3h @ 75% of 300'? or are you saying 'i could ride 300w for 1h and collapse but couldn't ride 180w for 5h'?

if so, how were you calculating your FTP? (i.e., had you done 300w for 1h in the example above?)

just trying to understand what you are writing.

lack of race results seems to be more about not being able to do repeated supra-threshold efforts, so what i think you are saying doesn't seem to match what i have observed.