View Single Post
Old 11-06-15, 02:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 4,126 Times in 2,757 Posts
I feel like I tour lightly with my 50lb max load, one of my old shopmates toured across 'Merica carrying 100lbs of gear.

UL touring is actually quite popular with tons of new adventure bike frames and frame bag/accessory bag makers. It may not be the number one topic here but it certainly is popular if you look at the many gear websites.

Personally though I would rather have a pillow than a "rolled up jacket" or balled up clothes or any of that nonsense. I have done that before and it was never comfortable or enjoyable. Plus I can get a pretty small light packable pillow these days and most comforts can be gotten in light small packages. So I think you can easily bridge a good gap between comfort and bringing stuff with UL stuff. I don't think there is anyone on this forum who wouldn't love to cut down the weight of their gear or touring rig without sacrificing what they are carrying, durability or usability.