Old 11-25-15, 10:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Yeah, Globe offered some sensible utilitarian bikes at very reasonable prices. Seems like several manufacturers went through that phase in the mid-2000s, including some fairly innovative twists like the comfy cruisers using the Shimano Coasting system auto shifters. But that phase didn't seem to last and now it's pretty much just Electra's market with the Townies, at least among the better made bikes that are mass produced and reasonably priced. Everything else is road bikes, hybrids and mountain bikes. The handful of manufacturers still making good quality utility bikes are extremely expensive low production or custom jobs.

The most common hassle I encounter with my 7' cable and lock is getting it around a fat utility pole, through both wheels and, in some cases, the saddle too (silly quick release seat post). None of my neighborhood stores has a bike rack, which pretty much leaves metal light posts with those concrete pads, and the cable won't quite reach around everything. The Carmel has a tall handlebar stem so I may wrap a second cable and lock around it just for the front wheel.

Originally Posted by calamarichris
A crappy bike can be its own best theft-deterrent.
The Globe does have a compact frame--any more compact and you're entering mixte territory, but good luck finding one; Globe made great bikes, so Specialized bought them and promptly discontinue the great models like the Live series.