Old 01-03-16, 02:08 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
I'm picking up a set of rollers and colder weather gear for some off season training and want to hit the beginner classes next season at our local velodrome.

My current bike setup is in my signature (or Bianchi Pista - Pedal Room ) Is there anything major I might want to change? I'm currently running a 47t front and have access from 14-18t rears (I know I'll only be using the low cogs). Yeah, I know the color scheme may not be for everyone but from just a setup standpoint, is there is anything I might want to pick up over winter?

Only thing I can think of is I'll try to find a used 48t chainring at a local shop and possibly look at some more track orientated tires, different bar tape (mine is a bit slippery), and get my wheels trued.

Anything else I may want to change or do you think this is a great setup for beginner class (I would be taking classes first of course before entering any real races).

Thanks a lot. Think I did pretty good...I got the bike for a screaming deal on craigslists, bought most of the upgrades used, off craigslist, ebay, etc... and probably have $500 total in the bike (including the bike purchase).

Thanks.
Hi, and welcome to the sport!

1) Have a look at this thread. It should answer most questions you'll have as a new racer: http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...ack-racer.html Pay attention to the parts about beginner gearing and tools you'll need.

2) The "bars on the front tire" look is great for photos on the internet...but awfully uncomfortable (for most people) for actual training and racing. I'd suggest being prepared to raise them.

3) I'd suggest looking into getting a quill to threadless stem adapter so you can use modern stems. If you are a new racer, chances are you will spend time fiddling with your fit. Quill stems severely limit your fit options. Switching stems is a pain. You have to unwrap your bars (and maybe buy new grip tape) to put on a new stem. Alternate stems are expensive and hard to find. If you need a longer/shorter stem, you can't just grab one from a local shop or craigslist. Hell, it was hard to do that when NJS stuff was popular. It's even harder now.

4) The Shimano 7401 pedals are old...back when Shimano first got into making clipless pedals. LOOK made them for Shimano. If I remember correctly, the tension on these is very light. Look into getting some modern Shimano road pedals for like $35 new.

5) Unless your tires are hardened with age, they are fine. If they are grippy then they are fine.

6) Not sure why you have so many zip ties under your saddle. But, if it is not working properly, then replace it. If it falls off while you are on the track while you are riding (and I've seen this happen several times) then you have a BIG problem on your hands.

7) Nobody cares how your bike looks when training/racing. We only care that it is in good working order.

Understand that what's "good" on the street fixie scene may not (and is probably not) good on the actual racing scene. It's like comparing the street import car scene to actual import car racing scene. Yes, there are some similarities, but they are more different than similar.

I've seen bikes like these (and other "FULL NJS" bikes...caged pedals and all) show up at beginner classes and if the racer sticks with the sport they ditch that stuff for modern gear after a few months. So, you can do it now, or do it later...but you are still gonna do it