View Single Post
Old 01-28-16, 12:09 PM
Trackliche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track Cycling Book Reviews

Okay boys and girls. Collectively, we've probably read every book there is to read about track cycling. Let's hear your thoughts on them.
I'll start:

The Price of Gold; Marty Nothstein: Four of five stars. The writing was pretty good, but simple in the way of most sports books. Definitely a very motivating read; Nothstein was a singleminded SOB. Goes a bit into his own and his friends' training, but mostly in broad strokes. Cool read.

The Anna Meares Story, Anna Meares: Ugh- awful. One of five stars. The writing is just abhorrent, and the anecdotes on which she focuses almost detract from the main story. Speaking of, the story (if you can look past the garbage writing) is good, but I'd rather read Carleton's version of it in a post on this forum. This book ain't worth the trouble.

The Autobiography, Chris Hoy: Four of five stars. Pretty good read. Definitely a lot of history about Team GB and their rise to glory with Chris et al. Well written, easy to follow and quick to read. Not much about training, but shows his commitment to the sport and whatnot very well.

Between The Lines, Victoria Pendleton: Still in the middle of this one. I started it before the Meares book, then put it down because I thought Pendleton's initial chapter was too touchy feely and emotionally depressing. After the travesty of Meares' book, I picked this one back up and really like it. After the first chapter things get very interesting. The writing style is impressive; down to earth, extremely relatable, and has explained some of the simple concepts of cycle racing (I.e. Drafting) more succinctly and completely than I've ever seen. Really like this book so far.
EDIT: I've finished this one. It was 4/5 stars. Lots of insight into VP's mind- pretty wild. She got a little *****y-focused on Anna Meares at times, but that should be expected. I was really blown by the obstacles she felt she had within British Cycling. One must keep in mind that she has some mental issues, but her take is her take- that's why we're reading her book!

Add, comment, modify!

TC

Last edited by Trackliche; 02-15-16 at 09:45 PM.