View Single Post
Old 02-27-16, 10:20 PM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Yep, I did see one of the pages there, and I've been having a good look at some of the others. Their comments on the MIPS standard is interesting.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
FWIW - you're trying to "explore" well traveled terrain. Plenty of work has been done in this area, and what you see is the result of balancing protection against "wearability". I'm not saying helmets can't be improved on, just suggesting that you start your research in the library and see what's been done so far.

There's also a bit of a catch-22 about helmets that nobody wants to discuss. Helmets enlarge your head, both increasing the chances of a head strike, and the rotational forces which are a major cause of TBI. I don't say this as an anti-helmet argument, but as a reminder that there are design limitations to be factored. As you increase helmet size to improve energy absorption, you increase the chance of a strike where it might not otherwise have happened.

OTOH- I may be the wrong person to advise here. I consider bicycles to be extremely safe, and the total risk of head injury low enough that I don't bother with helmets.
Yeah, this is true. As I mention in one of the posts, something the size of a beach ball is not going to fly no matter how good it is.

I wear an open-face motorcycle helmet because I thought of bicycle helmets as too "flimsy". It's not much bigger than a bicycle helmet, a bit heavier, but I feel the ability to withstand multiple strikes versus just one will win out.

The traditional design though has been one with a liner that deforms permanently, and I just wonder about how much they deform on impact. Seems as if we need to begin slowing the head's movement down a lot sooner, thus maybe the current designs need to be turned "inside out" with softer material outside. That's just an early thought though, hence the project.

Originally Posted by vol
OP (yes I remember you mentioned that tragic accident in another discussion), it would be better if you use a larger font size on your website. Tiny texts on black background may turn away some readers.

P.S. Helmet is a defensive, not preventive measure. Most important and effective safety measure is a good infrastructure, so good that one is safe without helmet.
Yeah I can't control the font size or page style, it isn't "my website". I put it there rather than on my own as I want to encourage collaboration, anyone can join Hackaday.io and request to join the project. Not so easy doing it that way on my blog.