View Single Post
Old 03-01-16, 02:48 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
You can't compare it to a car. In a car accident there is so much more energy that the typically "hard" outer shell (metal body) is compressed like the soft part of a helmet would be.

The energy has to go SOMEWHERE. Your brain is STILL traveling at X MPH and STILL has to come to a stop. I actually think exactly the opposite of the way you do. If you have a hard inner liner, the liner will not conform to the head (unless, of course, it's molded to the user's head), therefore you'll get hotspots. If the liner is rigid it will STILL only compress the soft material that's in front of it. (Between it and the ground.) If you have a soft inner liner, as it compresses it contacts with more of your head and dissipates more energy (like what you were saying.) Basically, like I said before, it doesn't matter WHERE the soft material is. It get compressed regardless. It just makes a heck of a lot more sense to put it on the inside of the helmet (for comfort.) Besides, if you have soft stuff on the outside of the helmet it's more likely to get worn away (by asphalt) or torn away (by rocks/trees) than a hard plastic outer shell.

The sad truth is this. Bike helmets aren't big enough to provide adequate concussion protection in a serious bike accident. They need to be bigger. However if they're bigger no one would wear them. Hence my idea for "technology." Or rather "how to shove a bigger helmet into a smaller form factor until it's needed." Aka the airbag helmets.

Millions of dollars have gone into our current helmet design. Do you really think that if it was more beneficial to have the padded part on the outside of the helmet high risk people (race car drivers) would still be using hard shelled helmets?

And besides. If you had a "hard" inner shell, you'd need more padding to make it comfortable, essentially making a double layer, extremely large helmet that no-one would ever wear.
My helmet description was one of having three layers, either I didn't communicate that well enough or you didn't bother reading far enough into my response to reach that point.
You can compare it to a car, not a typical street car because they will absorb some of the energy from a crash. I was specifically citing NASCAR where they mandated stiffer roll cage assemblies that did not absorb engery, they transferred it.
Part of my reference to racing, NASCAR specifically, was they virtually eliminated the carear ending injuries when they made the retaining walls softer (how many millions had been spent prior on hard walls?). One of the biggest objections to the soft wall ideas in the beginning was just like yours, they will be damaged too easily. That hasn't been the case.

The solution to many issues is thinking outside of the box, current helmet design is a flawed box. I am not saying I am right, but neither are you.