View Single Post
Old 04-06-16, 07:36 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Most speakers get ratings of "good sound!" and "great bass!" but it's hard to know what I'll like. I got a bluetooth speaker which had good reviews on amazon. The comments were along the lines of, "I can't believe how much sound comes out of this little thing." Well, emphasize the little. Maybe it's louder than you expect, but it's shrill and painful to listen to. Maybe the above-recommended speakers would satisfy me, but I wonder how high I have to go before that happens. Maybe I should go on weight, not reviews. The one I don't like weighs about four or six ounces. How much do the speakers you like weigh? (I'm asking anyone here, no one in particular.)
The ones I have and like very much weigh 75 pounds each. I've tried smaller speakers over the years and those smaller speakers can't even be allowed in a race with a field of 33 other speakers because they're that bad and can't make the cut!

But alas the question is small speakers, and I agree small speakers are painfully bad to listen to, thus you would be far better served with high quality earbuds like Bowers and Wilkins C5 Series 2; or for something a little less money in the mid level arena the JBL Reflect Mini BT; or for a lot less money in the low end arena but not bad sound for being so inexpensive and for being an earbud is the RHA S500I.

However after saying all of that personally I would NEVER wear any type of earplug or headphone while riding a bike, I think it's unsafe because you end up blocking a certain percentage of the outside world which could lead to an accident because it prevented you from hearing potential danger even if you think you can outsmart the problem by either turning down the volume so low you might as well have it off, or just use one earplug and thus keeping the other ear open, either way you still obstruct important sounds that you could have heard earlier and taken evasive action sooner. In addition to that, again personally, I cannot enjoy good quality music listening to it through headphones or earbuds because part of sound is also about feeling it and headphones deprive you of that sensation, which is another reason why I'm not a fan of small speakers.