Old 04-27-16, 03:47 AM
DefUnct

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Non-standard Body Type - Bike fit discussion

Hi,

Got a bit of a bike fit question, or rather looking for insights as to whether my reasoning seems sound. I have quite long legs for my height and a large +ape index (Height 176cm, arm span 188cm, inseam is a touch over 86cm)

On my Trek 1000, which is a 56cm frame, the drop from saddle to bars is reasonable visually (but still seems more than most) but i feel a bit stretched out, even with a 9cm stem. Although i can sit up more and it is my tourer, i find that even long term riding on the hoods can make me feel a touch stretched.

On my Wilier, i went for a slightly smaller size (cca 54 i think, it was their size M) and although i have a larger drop (approx 12.5cm) from saddle to bars, it feels more comfortable, even in the drops and with a 11cm stem. It also feels that my arms don't have to stretch too far forward. Would i be right in thinking that's because my short torso doesn't have to reach so far, and my long arms make up for the large drop?

I know it depends on what you want to do, but overall, it is better for someone with long legs / arms to have a smaller bike but with higher saddle / longer stem, or larger bike with lower saddle and short stem?

Either way i love riding both of them (although i may turn the stem on the trek over, to increase the up angle to make it a real tourer).