Old 04-27-16, 01:02 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DefUnct
Wow that opened up a lot of discussion and i really value all the inputs and information. To be honest the Trek was my first bike and i picked the size based on what i read at the time. After my experiences with it, when the time came to pick a new bike and i went for the Wilier, the size was based on what i had learnt from riding the Trek and from all the new information i read that wasn't the mainstream this height = this fit (or similar).

I will say that for the trek, the stack is higher, as Campag4life says, but i have my saddle pushed all the way forward (as far as it can go) and still feel a bit stretched. On the Wilier, although the drop is bigger, the bars are horizontally closer and my saddle is set at a mid-point, giving me space to play with either way should i want to play with setup - that's despite having a longer stem than on the trek.

Will look into Rivendell fitting, have not seen / heard of that before - thanks a lot!

What i really like is despite all the discussion and science behind it all, i think we all seem to agree it comes down to personal preference and also having the time and patience to learn and experiment what works / doesn't work for you.
Something is wrong if your saddle is not at the same place on both bikes...with respect to the bottom bracket. If the seat tube angles of both bikes are the same, and your seatposts both have the same setback, then the saddle should be in the same position on the clamps on both bikes. You aren't supposed to use saddle position to adjust reach.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...