Old 07-10-16, 07:06 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Private car ownership provides the benefits you list in some respects, but is very restrictive, inconvenient, and costly in others. There are extended periods where I have no need or use for one or more of my vehicles but they still end up wasting space on my property, cost me insurance premiums even when idle, and deteriorate with resulting maintenance costs. And frequently I would be better served by a somewhat different type of vehicle (say a truck or a van) that what I happen to have available. Furthermore it is certainly not enhancing my freedom, independence, or convenience when one of my private vehicles breaks down while in use and I have to immediately rearrange my schedule to deal with the problem.

If an extended Uber service, or preferably an autonomous vehicle service, could guarantee that within a few minutes of selecting a vehicle it would appear at my door ready to take me to my destination at a reasonable cost with no concern about having to find parking and that any mechanical problem would be dealt with by having a substitute vehicle show up within minutes that would greatly increase my freedom, independence, and convenience over the current situation.
I like the idea of an autonomous car service that shows up on demand and takes me where I need to go and picks me up again. I am not big on sharing a ride to stop by somewhere I don't want to go with someone else.