Old 07-11-16, 11:35 AM
tuxxdk

Bikes: MTB & Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
It's best to gradually increase your mileage so you don't injure yourself. Try adding 10k or 15k to your regular rides until you feel good taking on more distance. When you feel like you're ready for 100k, bring water, some food, and plan a route that has places you'll be able to refill on both if you need to. Also, make sure you have everything you'll need to fix a flat, and public transportation access wouldn't be a bad idea.

Or you could just say **** it, htfu, and go ride tomorrow until you fall off the bike.
Tools and spares are good to go. Transportation in case of psychical, mentally or mechanical breakdown is also in place.

I will try and increase my mileage on my next trip on the road. Perhaps I'll reach 75% of the intended milestone sooner than I expect it and the rest will be a walk in the park.

Originally Posted by Cyril
This.
To which I might add, If your shorter rides you do multiple times a week are done with intensity ( and only you can be the judge of that) fill your waterbottles , put a bar and a banana in your pocket and just do it.
Not intensity per se, it's my commute (13,5km each way) with a, usually, weekend MTB trup with high intensity. I haven't ridden in a long time if I go 3 months back, but I can clearly see improvements from week to week. There's a hill on my commute that I just kill now, whereas it was the other way around earlier.

Originally Posted by hairnet
I say just ride it. Plan a route with some rest stops at a gas station or a market or a 7-11so you can refill on water and grab something to eat. Pace yourself, don't burn out by going too hard too early. Just enjoy a day on the bike without over thinking it.
I definitely need to take the day off and enjoy it. You're probably right about not over thinking it. To me it's huge milestone, but in reality it's "only" a shortish trip compared to many races I guess.

The route is already set (from my home to my friends beach-house, circa 115km in-between). The route goes through smaller and larger cities with the usual gas and supermarkets on every corner.

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Knowing what kind of fuel you need to stay on the bike is like 50% of it. And chamois cream. When in doubt, bring more food and plan on needing at least 50% more fluids that you think you'll use. When I get it right, I feel like I could keep going for ages.
This is my problem beforehand I think. I usually drink and eat when I feel hungry or thirsty on a trip, but I think it's already too late then. I'm getting better at timing it, but not quite there yet.