Old 07-11-16, 04:42 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I could hope for sooner but you might be correct. I like the call up single vehicle service because it would give the same benefits as owning my own car. Leave when I want stop where I want and come back when I want. That is sort of what I meant about a transportation pod. If it were automated you would be just as free to read or rest as you could with mass transit but at your own schedule.
Plus door to door. As to "come back when I want" what do you have in mind? I'm thinking the pod is not dedicated to you, waiting till you want to leave. That would require another wait - hopefully normally quick. Of course there are lots of possibilities and they don't exclude each other. For example a shared pod or a dedicated pod for more cash.

How it changes work-commuting is interesting. Computers figure out who should pod-pool because they have closely aligned starting and ending places and times and thereby keeps the total vehicle count manageable while keeping the time waisted on other people/stops down. In the end it's a trade off of resources that are balanced against one another without meeting a goal of total convenience. A lot of people may choose to own a dedicated driverless vehicle that they don't have to share at all. They can leave the office the moment they get ready etc.