View Single Post
Old 07-16-16, 08:41 PM
side_FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
You might not be able to tell any difference, despite the large number of component changes, so pricing and colour choice should probably be your guide.

I will list what I can see are the differences according to the spec sheets.

2016 7.4 FX
Wheels...............Formula alloy front hub, Shimano FH-TX800 rear hub, Bontrager Tubeless Ready rims
Front Hub...........Formula TK31 alloy
Rear Hub............Shimano FH-TX800
Shifters..............Shimano Acera M390, 9-speed
Rear derailleur...Shimano Deore
Crank.................Shimano Acera M391, 48/36/26 w/chainguard
Cassette.............Shimano HG200, 11-32, 9-speed
Seatpost.............Bontrager Nebula, 27.2mm, 20mm offset
Head set.............VP Slimstak, sealed semi-cartridge bearings

2017 FX 3
Wheels...............Formula FM21 alloy front hub; Formula FM32 alloy rear hub; Bontrager Tubeless Ready rims
Front Hub...........Formula TK31 alloy
Rear Hub............Formula FM32 alloy
Shifters..............Shimano EF65, 9-speed
Rear derailleur...Shimano Alivio T4000
Crank.................FSA Dyna Drive, 48/36/26
Cassette.............Shimano HG20, 11-34, 9-speed
Seatpost.............Bontrager SSR, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
Head set.............1-1/8" threadless, sealed cartridge bearings

On the whole I don't see the above being that significant but arguably the biggest change is the drop down from Deore Rear derailleur to Alivio Rear derailleur, even if the Alivio derailleur is a new and improved version for Alivio.

You have different looking cranks and different brand of course, but they should perform the same.

The cassette on the 2017 FX 3 has a slightly more hill friendly range and in theory I believe the head set bearing should be better, but probably unnoticeable in actual use.

The seatpost on the 2017 FX 3 has slightly less offset, as it as 12mm compared to the 20mm of the seatpost on the 2016 7.4 FX and they appear to have gone from a one bolt design on the 2016 7.4 FX to a two bolt design for the 2017 FX 3.
Wow, thank you for the great write-up, your analysis was very useful and greatly appreciated. I thought they seemed really similar and I am happy that someone with much more knowledge than me would second the motion. So basically I'd have to decide if it's worth it to me to spend an extra $60 for a better RD and the orange paint. I really do like the Forebrand color, but I wonder if I'd tire of it quickly. I really like the Viper Red that used to be on FXs in the past. It will be interesting to see the 2017 version. It's tough trying to get back into cycling. I am tempted at some of the good emonda deals, but I'm thinking easing in the FX/DS route first may be better bet.