View Single Post
Old 08-23-16, 08:22 AM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
Diacompe Ene (which are the Compass Mafac clones) - available through Japan vendors

compare cost with Touissant.
I'm back - this is worth buying from Japan - $30/caliper

******************************?GC??? **********????
take them apart and reassemble on your posts
you also need this part
****************************************?? **********????
and they make a fancy tool for holding adjustment on your pads while you tighten them
****************************** **********????

ps - I've bought a lot from Grand Bois and Alex's cycle - GB will send you a paypal invoice with shipping included (express mail, not bad from Japan).
GB will also send you their gorgeous catalog with every order.
Outstanding! I dig the looks and the price!!! Do you know what the distance required for these brakes? Seems shorter and narrower than the Pauls.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Other options would be Gran Compe 450 or 610, both of which are in current production, and Mafac, which are not. The Dia Compe types need special springs I believe, if used with braze on fittings. Same would go for vintage Weinmann, if you want to use them. (virtually identical to Dia Compe)

RE Universal fit - Ideally you want to know the brakes you will use as well as the wheel and tire size beforehand, but that said you should be able to use Mafac, Compass, or GC 610 on the same post AFAIK, though the latter need special springs. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not absolutely certain. GC pivots seem to be about 2mm farther apart than Mafac. Pauls I've heard have a different mounting height. DIA-COMPE Center-Pull To Braze-On Assembly Kit for one Brake | Cycles Toussaint

I'm building up a bike now with the reissue GC 610 (not braze on), and my current rider is Mafac equipped. Generally I've found in the past that Mafacs have a bit more brute force, but the Weinmann/DC type modulates a bit better. We shall see how the reissues do, as they are more stoutly made than the old ones.
Again, Sal, you are a plethora of info! Thanks! The Gran Comps you are referring to are the ones bulldog linked, correct?

It's a bummer that all CPs aren't universally mounted!

Originally Posted by noglider
Those are gorgeous.

If you want to spend less, MAFAC brakes are pretty darned good.
Where can you find Mafacs? Used on eBay?

probably not with that reach, but the Pauls would, and I'd rather have them at that long reach.
Andy at Modern Bike is the one guy who discounts Paul Components
MAFAC, Dia-Compe & Paul Centerpull Brake Specs : La Rueda Tropical - he has all the specs tabulated
Thanks for that bulldog! It's like gold I tell ya!