Old 09-21-16, 01:41 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by justaguy168
I have two bicycles to sell at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center (aka Trexlertown) Velofest Swap Meet. I've never sold nor been there before. I know to get there very very early. Does anybody have any advice for selling a bicycle there? The two bicycles were featured in previous posts:
  1. Circa 1983 Austro Damlier Puch Vent Noir Black Anodized
  2. Circa 1970s Zeus
Am I allowed to advertise on this forum that I'm selling it there? I'd prefer to sell them to someone who wouldn't part them out but I'm sure I don't have any control over that. I've heard a lot of bad things about selling stuff on eBay so I abandoned that option. If I don't get my price, I'll try selling it on these forums.

Thanks in advance.

I went twice as a seller. People will approach you in the parking lot before set up and check out your stuff as your unloading. They may even make an offer or two. If they sound good, take them up on it.
Bring a metric/standard tape measure and a set of digital calipers. Perspective buyers appreciate precise measurements.
Bring some basic bike related tools just incase.
I used small pieces of blue painters tape to attach to items to list asking prices. It makes it easier for people to buy or negotiate.
Be prepared to negotiate if you want to actually sell things. As was said before, this is not a physical manifestation of an ebay auction. Too many people approach selling at this event from a "collector" mindset. You should only bring things you don't want to bring home. Price accordingly.
Do not sit behind your table staring at perspective buyers. Stand in front of your table to draw people in by saying "Hello", smiling etc.

I sold lots of mid range parts,frames & few whole bikes.
Bring beer (if you drink). Bring food.
Bring a bunch of small bills to make change.