View Single Post
Old 09-22-16, 08:59 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Upgrade Help Needed

Hi, First time post, but I've been lurking at your site since January, and have benefited from your knowledge. I'll try to be brief:
I'm 55, and began riding in January due to knee issues from a lifetime of running. Decided to get the bike I had as a youngster (1975-76 Nishiki Olympic) as I didn't like the cost or looks of the newer bikes. As I researched and looked for the Olympic, I found bikeforums.net and saw that the Olympic was just an okay bike. However, when I saw a 1979 Fuji Royale on CL in perfect one owner, hardly rode, original condition, at a great price, your site helped me learn it was a better bike, so I bought it.
I had the bearings, chain, break cables, freewheel replaced and was loving the bike. One day I found out about the California L'eroica from a guy named Andrew who passed me on a ride (I'm in southern California), and suggested I check it out. Andrew seemed pretty involved with bike restoration and told me about a Centurion Super LeMans he was restoring. Maybe he has been on this board? Anyways, at his suggestion, I replaced the handlebars, pedals, and tape and have been enjoying the bike even more.
Though I enjoy the bike, I am thinking about moving a step up to a better, lighter, vintage steel bike, that is L'eroica eligible if I decide to participate. So I was wondering what models would be an appropriate next move up without breaking the bank? My Royale is a 12 speed with a freewheel of 14 - 30. I am considering a 1983 Centurion Elite RS that has a freewheel of 13 - 28. Is that something I could adjust to easily? My bike is comfortable on my 30 mile rides, but I want to get to 50 miles, and eventually do a century. So comfort on longer rides is also a consideration. Additionally, I like to ride hills and can handle them with the Royale. I don't want to end up with a faster, lighter bike, but unable to climb because I can't handle the gears.
Or, should I keep the Royale and just change the wheels to lighten things up? Currently it has Ukai alloy 27" rims with Kenda K36 gum walls. Would changing the wheels make that much of a weight difference? If so, can you recommend what I should get? With a tail light, odometer, and kickstand the bikes weighs 27.2 pounds.
This wasn't very short - sorry! All opinions will be greatly appreciated!