View Single Post
Old 10-11-16, 03:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 1,265 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Fatbikes are not for every rider; and yes, the "coolness" has a lot of people buying fatbikes for no other reason. For the love of God, you can get fatbikes at Target, that's a clear sign that the market is too hot for it's own good.

I own one, and I love it. I do ride it at times where it make no sense - like on black top. There are times I'm riding with Lisa, she's on a road bike with 23mm tires and I'll take the Pugsley so that I can have a good work out while riding at her pass. (I try to avoid this, 'cause Lisa resents it a little bit).

I'll avoid passing you with my Pugsley, I don't want you to resent me.
Oh, I am long past resenting or feeling bad when people pass me on heavier, knobby tired bikes. It happens enough, you get used to it. Related, I like to ride with anyone who is about my own speed regardless of what sort of equipment handicap on their part it requires.... as long as they are fun to ride with and not gloating!

For what it's worth, I'm thinking of adding a fat bike to my collection, especially it seems you're seeing quite a few of them on Craigslist nowadays. I was told by a local bike shop owner that they aren't that great on ice and studded tires are >$200 apiece! Can anyone verify? (performance on ice?)

I have studs on my 32mm cross bike tires (about $80 apiece and after 3 years spring and fall, I'm now thinking I have my money's worth at about $5 per ride) They really work well on solid hard pack and glare ice, but don't have flotation.