Old 11-18-16, 01:02 PM
Super_Sport

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
It sounds like you've made some good choices there- I'm going to have to keep an eye out for those bars...the Dia Compe 981s are good brakes- if I didn't have the XC Pro brakes on my Voyageur SP, I'd be using the 981s. I don't think you're going to get 650B to work without either moving the canti studs or getting some long reach calipers and leave the studs sitting there, neither is a good option. You should be able to get some pretty beefy 700c tires in there. My 86 Voyageur was running some 27 x 1 3/8" tires when I had it, so I'm pretty sure you'd be good with 35s and fenders, or 38s without.

Good to hear I made some good choices! I have to say I was a bit overwhelmed with all the options when I first began. The bars are dirt drop style. Got mine off ebay for $50 and they're so comfortable especially in the drops. Can you tell I love these bars? I do like the simplicity of the 981s and once I got them adjusted right they're working fine. They seem bulletproof once dialed in, so I'll likely keep them at this point (500 miles). Didn't think about that with the 650b--but good to know. I guess if I build any wheels it'll be 27" or 700. And yes tire size was one reason I was drawn to the Voyageur. I'm currently running 700x32 Continental Tourride tires with SKS fenders and there's plenty more room for a larger tire. When I move back to Missouri, I'll have a bike ready to tackle the gravel.