Old 01-05-17, 02:26 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have gone down making a fast turn on a road I didn't realize was wet right at the apex .... and it hurt.

The notion that wet roads are not slipperier than dry roads is frankly, absurd.

Can one ride wet roads? certainly ... damp roads, roads after light rain, roads during a downpour. Will one always crash? One should rarely crash while riding in and situation.

Isd the coefficient of friction of rubber on asphalt higher than rubber on wet asphalt. yes, and anyone who denies is is dishonest or deluded.

I know everyone wants to be "Right on the Internet," but let's all add a modicum of common sense, eh? Wet roads are slipperier, and anyone who rides a lot knows it.

People who drive cars know it, too. We ALL know it ... so why would anyone try to argue otherwise?
I'll leave the debate about "slipperier" up to the physicists.

I have zero fear of riding on wet roads. In fact, I love a good rain ride. The one condition that does bother me a little - doesn't stop me, I just try to use more caution, and at the worst of it ride a different bike with wider tires/more stability - are wet autumn leaves. Those really can be slippery.

I've never had a crash on wet pavement. I have wiped out on frost/ice a couple of times when I wasn't expecting it to be there - early in the fall when I was still riding summer tires.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 01-05-17 at 02:31 PM.