View Single Post
Old 02-21-17, 11:37 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
With the approaching riding season I get caught up in the pleasure of prepping the bikes. Wheels are trued, brakes adjusted, new tires mounted, just a lot of getting caught up in this little thing of getting things just right.

Today, I have some free time that is given to waxing. The '88 Cannondale Criterium has been neglected in this act of shining joy. I built this from a frameset, hand sanded and repainted to perfection. It's crazy how little the concern over this bike's shine until late winter. Ahhhh, that's better. Next!

How often do you wax your bike(s)?

Ha! I did this yesterday (wax the bikes). I had the day off and had intended to ride, but a persistent rain and bad roads kept me home.

Lately I have waxed the bikes so much that I am afraid I will wear the paint off.

During normal (dry) years, however, I wax the bikes about every three months using Mother's paste car wax. Between waxings I usually apply a spray of finishing, liquid wax. I do this every other week, depending on how often I ride that particular bike. I usually ride by the ocean (on PCH) and the light coating of wax keeps things clean and rust-free.