View Single Post
Old 03-06-17, 03:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,838 Times in 1,593 Posts
[MENTION=351576]Heathpack[/MENTION] The queen bee and her drones. I love the concept. Why was she riding with CBS if she was going to talk smack about them with an existing club member? I guess somewhat of a rhetorical question.

Generally, I have found cyclists unable and mentally incapable of maximizing a group ride to coincide with riders' abilities. The power of observation and the idea of any practical communication to figure out what makes sense is lost once a pedal is turned.

It is usually racked up to asholeism but I think it is that and more. Running in groups is more ability based where runners of similar ability run together. There is no advantage to sitting in so either one can run at the group pace or not. A runner typically will not go to the front and accelerate the pace knowing that he can sit in and recover. Cyclists are always thinking that the goal is to make the ride hard for someone behind versus creating a flow of cyclists such that all get a good workout and speed is optimized.

I think group rides should maintain 5 bike lengths between riders. That will separate the wheat from the chaff and make them less *******y. Of course, some riders will never see each other except at the start and finish.