View Single Post
Old 03-07-17, 10:43 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,540 Times in 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Sorry this whole thing is confusing to anyone unfamiliar with the cycling social scene in our town.

CBS Cycling = my club who I mostly never ride with because they are too fast. Not a-holes, though. Very nice.
SC Velo = the queen bee's group, who I was riding with on Sunday. Roadie a-holes for sure. Not nice.

There is a lot of back story that I left out. Officially everybody gets along. But Mr. and Mrs. CBS used to be members of the Velo and then broke off when they opened their shop. They formed CBS Cycling in part because they are not a-holes and don't want to be. They have siphoned a lot of people off the Velo because they are so much better to ride with. So queen bee resents that and doesn't mind sharing her resentment. Pretty sure much of what I was hearing were passive aggressive comments being made with the intention that I'd pass the criticisms along.

The laughable thing is that the Velo now realizes that it might behoove them to be nice too. Hence this "Sunday Sportive" no drop ride. They go on and on about how on that ride they will ride to the abilities of the slowest rider and regroup as needed, etc. I don't really care one way or the other, I have no issues riding the route solo. But it is a joke that they are riding to the abilities of the slowest rider, they are even willing to drop their own queen bee.

Such drama. Cycling is a funny sport.
I have an idea...for your next ride, I can show up with some men and you can have your own drones and we will promise not to drop you.

There always seems to be drama in sport. There have only been a couple of times in my life where I have found training partners / friends in many different sports where we shared the same goals, motivation and compassion and we were able to train together and have a lot of fun.