View Single Post
Old 03-18-17, 01:08 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 284 Posts
The seawall? Ha ha. Done it a few times. It is about the most frightening riding experience I've had since being chased by a pack of grow-op guard dogs a few years back.

The main denizens of the seawall are:
  • Moms pushing stollers
  • Roller-bladers
  • Inexperienced cyclists with rental bikes with the saddles a foot too low, and the rental helmet dangling off of the handlebar threatening to land in the spokes at any instant.
  • Groups of oblivious peds completely blocking the path gesticulating wildly at each other and yelling with whatever foreign language requires that you shout - all of the time
  • Pretty girls on cruiser bikes wearing flip flops and talking on their phones
  • Pretty girls with toy dogs on long leashes. Or apparently ownerless unleased dogs running randomly around the trail.
  • Peter Sagan wanabees, weaving between these obstacle at warp speeds.

Of course, everyone is looking at their phones, and wearing headphones. Everyone.

You'd be safer riding the mountain bike trails on the North Shore. Be aware that the 'Shore is real mountain biking. Your basic trail is a minefield of wet greasy roots and head-sized rocks on a 30 degree slope littered with 6 foot drops and flimsy ladders 10 feet off of the ground. You'd better have a $5,000 (real) mountain bike with 8" of front and rear suspension, a dropper seatpost, a full-face helmet and body armor. And years of experience riding expert-level trails. I started mountain biking in the 80s, and what are labelled as 'Intermediate' mountain bike trails on the 'Shore are far beyond my skills, or my willingness to die.