View Single Post
Old 03-24-17, 11:51 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 117 Posts
Dang! That’s a tough decision. Fortunately, at this point in my life, I don’t have to settle. However, I find this is a very worthwhile mental exercise.

If I was limited to one bike, which may be a future reality, my choice would depend on my health and locale. First, a baseline; I’m in my early 70s, in good health and have been cycling regularly since I was 9 or 10. I’ve never competed or toured. I just like to ride. Until a few years ago, centuries were my passion. And now, on to my thought/decision process. For the most part, I like my bikes simple and utilitarian. If I was living in a relatively flat area like Phoenix, AZ, a single speed would suffice. Add in some small hills, overpasses and a few years, I’d move to a three speed. More hills, long grades and years would necessitate more gears, i.e. a 1X wide ratio 9 or 10 speed or maybe an 8 speed IGH. What ever I chose would be light, hopefully less than less than 25 lbs or at most, less than 30 lbs.

Currently, three bikes are my primary rides. A 1 X 8 city/utility bike built on a Fuji Nevada frame with ridged fork and front disc. It’s 23 lbs with narrow tires, sans racks. Ready to go shopping, it’s 26 lbs. Next is a 2014 carbon/aluminum Ridley CX with Shimano 105 drive train. At 22 lbs it’s my “go fast” ride where I can focus on speed and not worry about the nuances shifting and braking. Lastly, a 1965 Eddie Soens with Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport DT, Weinmann brakes and GB cockpit. It’s a surprising light, 22.5 lbs, 12 speed. This is my favorite, as it brings back memories of earlier days and the freedom of my first 10 speed. The Fuji gets 40 to 50% of my ride time because of its practicality and our weather. The other two split the remainder.

Having only one bike would be tough decision that I may have to make, but for now I’ll ride what I like.

Cheers,

Van