View Single Post
Old 04-18-17, 07:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 4,052 Times in 2,627 Posts
Tubulars 1973-late '90s, early 2000s. I used Tubasti on all my wheels (after a bad spell with tape) except on my racing wheels and rode many races on my training wheels with Tubasti. Good stuff - as long as you don't get it too hot. Never goes completely hard or dry. I never cleaned my rims and only addressed the dried stuff it it was getting lumpy. Best part was on-the-road tire changes. Pull off the old tire, put on the replacement and ride. Don't corner hard for a few miles. Pull and re-glue when I get home.

Rims with years of build up gave me the biggest sense of security. I didn't trust new rims with their first set of tires. Actually felt relief when I got that first flat and that tire was hard to pull off. Then I knew when I glued on the next, it could be trusted.

Speaking of trust - I trust a flatted tubular to stay on the rim until I can stop. I've had a clincher come off after blowing, jam in the seatstays and send me for a top ten crash. (I was totally unprepared for the lock-up. Riding on the bare rim was like riding on ice and I was doing all I could to stay up, off the curb beside me and nurse the speed down to a good crash speed. Locked up at about 22 mph. In my tubular days I got several high speed flats over the years. Heart stoppers, yes, but otherwise non-events

Ben