Old 04-20-17, 07:46 AM
Craptacular8

Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by thetiniestbike
Hey all,

After years of riding 60-year-old department store children's step-throughs, I'm finally looking to build my first new, adult commuter.

One problem: I'm 4'11", with a 27" inseam. After a whole lot of research regarding what I want and need (ED-coated double-butted CroMo, 700c for accessibility, wide tire clearance for winter tires with fenders, single speed/fixed gear capabilities, the ability to survive cobblestones, city traffic, and salted roads, a $700 to $1000 price range, and something that looks boring enough to be ignored by Montreal bike thieves while still making my own heart pitter-patter), I test rode a 42cm Surly Cross Check at my LBS. I found the ride comfortable and much faster than what I'm used to, and am seriously considering buying one, but I'm worried about the fact that I can't stand flat-footed over the top tube.

In your experience, how important is standover height for a city commute? Particularly in wintry conditions? Should I consider the Straggler 650b in 38cm, and just suck it up when it comes to tire variety? Are there other frames on the market now that I should be considering, that meet the needs stated above? Thanks!
Many others have made some awesome suggestions. I'm building up an 80's Raleigh mixte frame hoping to be able to accommodate my MIL that is your height. The step over height is no issue, but I'm planning on fitting it with Soma Mustache bars to help shorten the reach. So, that is also an option if you were to find and fit up an older 26" mtb. Soma, and others make mustache bars that will accept the bikes standard flatbar brakes and shifters, but bring the effective reach back to something much more reasonable. You might not end up having to do a whole lot else other than upgrading tires.