Old 04-22-17, 07:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5898 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 2,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
My Motobecane Grand Record can fit a 700x32 and fender, partially because it's a 27 inch wheel to 700c wheel conversion. My Peugeot PX10 has less clearance, a 700x28 will fit under a fender, a 700x32 will not. None of my other bikes will fit a 700x32 and fender. Some of the Touring bikes from this era have sufficient clearance, but these models are in high demand, if you can find one.

Both of these bikes perform well by 1975 standards, but both feature some excessive flex under a muscular 220 lbs rider. Also, restoring these bikes to be 100% reliable long distance bikes is not cost effective.
We agree on the first point but I think it less of an issue than you suggest.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the 2d point (which is in bold). I hear you that you find those bikes too flexy but I think a well made steel bike of that era is just fine for the OP. And I do think a vintage bike can be highly cost effective. Even if you want to largely modernize the bike, you've saved a lot of money on the frame alone.

I've been riding the heck out of my 1984 Trek 610 lately and plan to use it on a number of long distance trips. I'm running 700 x 32c tires. The bike is almost entirely vintage (except the brake levers, freewheel, and pedals) but that was not entirely by design. I just used what I had on hand and what I could get cheaply. I may have $250 or so invested in this bike (this includes new clement strada LGG tires but does not include the bag and electronics).

Last edited by bikemig; 04-22-17 at 07:21 AM.