Old 05-26-17, 04:44 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAwareness
Hello,

We are a group of students based out of Nova Scotia (Canada) that are currently involved in a project centered around bike awareness -- specifically, developing a product to increase driver awareness of cyclists.

As part of our research, we have interviewed customers and employees at some of the local bike shops. But we are also interested in obtaining viewpoints from a broader range of individuals. We prepared a few questions, below:...

If anyone could take a few minutes to answer some (or all) of them, we would appreciate that very much!

Sincerely,
Team Awareness
By way of introduction, I have been living a cycling lifestyle for about 40 years: year round cycle commuting in Boston, road cycling, and cycle touring, including a US cross country ride. I don't know how valid or useful this survey is but it gave me a chance to take stock of my own safety "program." Let us know of any results.

1. What safety items do you carry on your bicycle?
Besides helmet, reflective jacket or vest, gloves, sun visor, and lights; two rearview mirrors (left and right);see this link

2. What safety items do you find most effective during the day? At night? Why?
Mirrors are most important; I travel in the city mostly with sufficient ambient illumination. I have two rearview red lights, one blinking and one steady, particularly should one fail.

3, What do you find most dangerous about cycling on city roads? Why?
Cars, including parked ones; bad pavement; to a lesser extent pedestrians, other cyclists.

4. We have noticed that adjustable light patterns (such as solid/blinking) tend to be popular. Why would cyclists want that adjustability?
Some think one is better than the other…blinking is more eye-catching; steady allows for better judgement of distance (so they say). Some think flashing lights actually attract a drunken driver, as if a target. I think a leg light provides a particularly effective rotary pedaling motion.

5. Are there any habits you have adopted to keep yourself safe while cycling? If so, why do think they are effective?
One of my perennial posts:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience,are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least:
  • Make yourself as visible as possible,and assume nobody sees you.
  • Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either sid
  • To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood.
  • Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface
  • When approaching a curve with no forward sight lines, hug the curb…’tight to the right’
  • When riding at night, look for cars, not just headlights
  • You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver’s ed).
  • Truck at corner in sight, don't go right [from a few local fatalities].
  • Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well-paved and lightly traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.” My argument to wear a rearview mirror.
Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation
Also, just yesterday, I posted about a new riding style I recently adopted:
Regarding the question of taking the lane, I’ve always felt it is a question of pragmatism, though I probably too obsequiously favor keeping the drivers happy by staying FRAP

Just yesterday I posted about my new “position” on lane strategy, after decades of urban commuting… On a few rides over the past few days I have tried out the more aggressive position, in the right tiretrack, with very good results. I can easily monitor the driver's responses in my rearview mirror...so far no aggressive maneuvers or honking

6.There are a number of safety-focused items available. If you have not purchased them, why not?
One unique one that may be effective is a pool noodle. Just haven’t got around to finding one.
One other item I read about in only one thread on BF is the somewhat whimsical idea of extending your space with the use of a pool noodle, an idea I myself have yet to try.
...However to add to your list of visibility aids, see this thread, Safety hack for bikes using a pool noodle.”It has a video and photo of a pool noodle. I recall thinking it is something I might put on my bike, and a pool store is nearby my workplace, so I’ll have to check it out.

7. Why is performance (e.g., battery life of a light) important?
I have posted just yesterday:
However, in contrast to motorists in fancy cars, I think cyclists are much more invested in their bikes and paraphernalia.

We have to expand our own personal physical energy to move the bike, we are more vulnerable without the heavy armored vehicle to surround us, and we’re exposed to the elements of weather and the environment. So it makes sense to focus and seek out the best / optimum when cycling, and compromise when driving…
BTW, I have cycled in Nova Scotia: Ferry to Yarmouth, on through Digby, Kejimkujik PP, Peggy's Cove and Halifax...a cycling paradise.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-05-17 at 04:44 AM.