View Single Post
Old 06-23-17, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,113 Times in 2,746 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
@veganbikes -- If we extend that argument far enough we'd need to eliminate REI and most chain bicycle stores from being "local bike shops". So only my actual nearest bike shop, only a mile away, qualifies.

And if local means locally sourced, we'd eliminate every bike shop that doesn't sell bikes or accessories made in the US.

Since Light & Motion lights are at least designed and assembled in the US, that requalifies REI and disqualifies my actual local bike shop. Because REI carries the L&M but my LBS doesn't.

Detroit Bikes are made in the US -- from imported steel. (I may have inspected one of the last American steel manufacturers 20something years ago when I was a gummint safety inspector). Local enough? But there isn't a authorized retailer in my city to take delivery and assemble the bike, at least to qualify for the refunded shipping cost. But I can buy a Chinese made Trek or Electra from the nearest LBS. At least those bike companies began in the US.

The global economy makes it unrealistic to classify employers so easily as local or non-local, whether for the purposes of sustaining a local economy or supporting local employers and employees.
My argument was less everything has to be made in the US (though that would be nice or at least made in NA) REI is not a great bike shop from going there and knowing folks who have or still work there. However at least they are fairly decent to employees and the stores look cool and are somewhat of an odd iteration of a Co-op. Though I can somewhat agree with parts of what you are saying especially regarding the global economy.

Detroit bikes were using MUSA True Temper have they changed (at least from MUSA obviously changing from True Temper makes sense due to TT being idiots).