View Single Post
Old 07-04-17, 01:18 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
The Troll will handle the weight. There are a couple of quirks with it though. Because the new model can take such big tyres there are some compromises with fitting front low riders. The front drop out eyelets are too far inside the outside line of the forks to be useful for mounting a rack. Surly have put a lower rack mount on the front of the fork, up from the drop out. This pushes the rack up and forwards (and also helps it clear the disc brake). With my existing Blackburn rack this meant the CG of the panniers was a fair way forward of the steering axis, so it tended to shimmy a little with low steering inputs. I'm looking at getting a Tubus Duo rack as these seem to have better spacing, the back clip of the pannier is well behind the fork. Fenders are also a bit funny, if you are running 2" tyres you need to space them out so they are closer to the tyres, otherwise there is a massive gap between the fender and the tyre. On the front this means a flat metal dropper from the fork crown hole. With discs you are best mounting the struts off the rack mounts and kinking them around the caliper. But you'll then need to space out the top mounts on the rack to the equivalent thickness of the fender struts.
I've been using Marathon Mondials, which work well as an all round tyre. Even fully loaded I was running them as low as 25psi to get maximum traction up steep gravel pitches, they roll OK on the smooth stuff, but you can hear them whirring. They are at 5000km now and are about 50% worn, with no punctures, so a good life span