View Single Post
Old 07-15-17, 10:08 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
BUT..the questions is would you prefer AL out on an solo unsupported expedition riding mega-crappy-roads and a hundred miles from NOWHERE.
I have no definite answer. Honestly it would just depend on what kind of bike it was, and how well it fit and felt day after day. A replaceable derailleur hanger would be a must on an aluminum bike. The Koga Miyata comes to mind as one that I would use. Never seen or ridden one but they look well made for the purpose.
As that is pretty far from my budget I would have no real problem with a good 26 inch aluminium mountain bike. Now if an aluminium walmart bike fit and rode great and could have good components put on it, I would probably still have some doubts choosing it. Never seen one break, just the crap parts erode off, but still.
Since I could afford a trucker along with some beefier wheels(pretty heavy at 220 rider weight), and its a proven bike I would have absolutely no problem with it. I have ridden one, and am baffled by the OP's dislike of them. A person is allowed to have opinions, but the constant put downs and insults grate after a while.

There have been some long arguments about the reparability of various materials here over the last year or so. Astonishingly both sides have both good arguments and poor. Even though I have opinions on it, I don't let them worry me to much other than just keeping an eye on what I am using and coping in whatever way if something happens. Which it can no matter what the material is.(I have broken more steel than aluminum)

If I had to take out on those mega crappy roads with no new purchases, I have to admit I would take my old steel Scott mountain bike over the aluminium Kai Tai, cause its ready to slap some racks on and go. Might put the trekking bars on it first, and some suntour ratcheting thumb shifters that I love instead of the rapid fire, just for dependability.
Then again my old Schwinn world tourist with its 700c 38mm tires single speed is a solid choice...

My touring philosophy is actually more along the lines of I would set out on an old Raleigh Sports three speed just for the joy of it.(actually did a short trip on one, walked a few hills but it was fun)
Worrying to much about having the most optimum bike and gear is something that is best left to the OP.

Last edited by shipwreck; 07-15-17 at 10:15 PM.