Old 08-04-17, 08:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Hard to do for a few reasons:

-SPD pedals are fairly open to aid in mud shedding-hard to get a strain gauge in there
-SPD is intended as an MTB pedal...considering how badly beaten up MTB pedals get when used for MTB....it wouldn't last long...hence the pref for crankarm sensors
-MTB pedals (overwhelmingly) have the shoe tread resting on the pedal by design, making measurement error prone I'd wager...as opposed to say LOOK style cleats that bear 100% of the pedaling force.**

**Only MTB pedal I know of offhand where the only contact between shoe and pedal is the cleat (like in road shoes), is the Speedplay Syzr.
Hmm, I thought pedal meters measured pedal spindle deflection, and so would expect the shoe/pedal interface doesn't matter.

Were I guessing, I'd say it's more to do with the challenges of dual-sided design, bit I don't know.