Old 08-07-17, 01:48 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Hi,

Looking for suggestions for a 40c tire for my Jamis Renegade Exploit. I'm in Southern California so our gravel is more like dirt over hardpack (obviously dry conditions). I need something that will ride decent on the pavement, since I'll be riding to the trail (I won't be doing any hardcore mountain bike trails). The Maxxis Rambler, WTB Nano and Panaracer Gravelking come to mind. Challenge has some decent tires on their site too, as well as Soma. I wonder if a 42 Soma Cazadero would fit in the rear? Anyway, just looking for recent experience/suggestions... Thanks in advance.
I haven't used the Rambler yet but since it's basically a 38mm tire you can compare it to other 38mm tires. I have the 40mm GKs on mine and they are more like 42-43mm on my rims. I can whole heartedly recommend them as a tire though. I'd get the 35 or 38mm GKs though. The other tire that I know of that is in the same class is the Bontrager CXO team. They set up tubeless really nicely and also perform well on pavement. But the GK is the toughest of the three and only slightly heavier. You won't be disappointed by it.

edit: The Cazadero will fit but is likely way overkill for your riding. Tubeless is key as well. I'm guessing you guys have goatheads out there..