View Single Post
Old 08-12-17, 01:04 PM
crankythunder

Location: burrokratic republik of Michigan, cubicle LVW-2a20c

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Trek Y-33, Rans LWB recumbent, Vision SWB Recumbent, Fuji MTB, Schwinn Beach Cruiser with two stroke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Dear Tex:

My personal observations and road to saddle nirvana consisted of the following:

1) get very personal with a razor in your nether regions. The hair can be caught and pulled each pedal stroke which will hurt a lot. Clear that area out with a razor a couple times a week. I do it daily in the shower.

2) I purchased a brooks b-17 after reading about them here with lots of compliments. Personally, it took me about three days to break it in and I have a 10 mile one way commute. At this point in time I was getting close but still resorted to my recumbent after a couple days on the upright. Was so impressed that I purchased a second b-17 for my other upright commuter. (yeah they are expensive but a worthwhile expense compared to the comfort delivered)

3) Get a couple good pair of cycling shorts. Personally, I use the cheap (about $18 bucks) sponeed brand available from china on EBAY and they have a very thick pad but it works for me. at that price, I have a good supply such that I am in a new clean pair every day. In a pinch, I have washed the shorts out in the shower so I had a clean pair for tomorrow when I did not want to do a full load of laundry.

4) lastly, get yourself some chamis butter. this is a super slippery lubricant that eliminates chafing of the skin in contact with the saddle. The guy at the Local bike store said to put about a gallon directly on the shorts but I have found that just a small squirt applied to my skin is sufficient.

Some people say that the chamis butter eliminates the requirement to shave but this is what is working for me.

For what it is worth, I commute 10 miles to work five days a week rain or shine. I use two recumbents and two uprights for commuting so I go about a hundred miles a week. I also try and do as many errands on a bicycle as I can but sometimes you gotta use the car for groceries. I do not put the miles on that some people on this forum do but I am on a bicycle almost every day.

Regards,
Cranky