View Single Post
Old 08-16-17, 02:13 PM
jeromeoneil

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tass, Trek Crossrip 3, Miscellaneous Trek frames

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't trust the government to spend that $1.2 million on improvements to biking infrastructure. What they will spend it on is a whole lot of consulting, studies, focus groups, and other things that help office workers, but don't do much for bikes.

As an example, my house overlooks a public trail. It's wide, well maintained, and used by all sorts of people for all kinds of things, including bikes, joggers, and walkers. I can ride it north effectively into Seattle. Going south, though, I get about 3 miles before it ends. The county's plan is to complete the south end of the trail so it grants access to the Green River (Flaming Geyser Park, for the locals). This plan has been in place since.... 1992. Now they are beginning to act on it. And for their first steps, they're gonna pave the north segment, or as I like to say, they're gonna "fix it until it's broken." The south segment (which would be the far more beneficial) connection, well... that is gonna require some more study.

In a fraction of the same time, the local bike club took some land in Black Diamond and turned it into an absolute paradise of singletrack trails, at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by jeromeoneil; 08-16-17 at 03:00 PM.