View Single Post
Old 08-27-17, 08:18 AM
crankythunder

Location: burrokratic republik of Michigan, cubicle LVW-2a20c

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Trek Y-33, Rans LWB recumbent, Vision SWB Recumbent, Fuji MTB, Schwinn Beach Cruiser with two stroke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Dear Corrado:

You have damaged your skin and you need to get off the bicycle for a short period of time to let your skin heal. If it hurts to ride your bicycle, it is no fun.

I speak from experience because I have a sensitive tailbone.

While we are two different people, here is what works for me.

1) Get very intimate with a razor in your personal area. These little hairs can get trapped and pulled and tugged and be quite painful. Shave them off and keep the area nice and neat.

2) Use a good pair of bike shorts with padding. be particular! I know you say that you do not want to use bike shorts but they really do keep you comfortable. Padded underwear if you want to keep casual clothes but watch the seam in your pants if you use regular clothes. Change at work in the bathroom stall if you got to but the shorts are a lifesaver.

3) Use Chamis Butter. This is a super slick lubricant that eliminates chafing and rubbing. I am sure that most saddle sores are not caused by a improper shape, fit, width, or style of saddle but by the continuous rubbing of the skin on skin/clothing/hair/seams or the skin folding over on itself over and over again. The chamis butter will eliminate this although it will need to be wiped off or removed when you get to work. do not use hand cream, vaseline, or other moisturizers because they will deteriorate your leather saddle, will not remain wet for very long, and may even irritate your skin.

4) Get the correct adjustment for your saddle. Height, fore/aft adjustment, and tilt. be patient but persistent especially on the tilt. Carry an adjustment wrench and if you think it is tilted too far forward/too far backwards, stop and adjust it even if it is just a billionth of a millimeter adjustment. I am still adjusting my tilt and I got a new saddle three years ago. No big deal, I will get it right here shortly although I think I need different positions based on the brand of short I am wearing.

Be persistent. You do not need to bicycle in pain. For what it is worth, I commute 10 miles one way and my upright commuters have Brooks B-17. I love them things and took me a couple weeks to break each one in.

Regards,
Crankster