Old 09-11-17, 05:53 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
And let's not forget that Ty's tour that year was for the purpose of raising research funds for the benefit of folks like me who have had cancer in the past or for you who may have cancer in the future. To suggest that he was trying to be an expense to others by accepting a gift is an insult. Indeed, refusing such a gift might be an insult to the giver. The pastor was obviously trying to encourage him in his effort by providing a motel.
I hope you're cancer free now and glad you remember who Ty is! The charity to date has raised over $22K. A portion of that came from Ty and I by virtue of the people who helped him out on his trip. He kept track of when people helped him out and roughly how much. When his trip ended we made a donation in that amount. i.e. The hotel the pastor paid for was ~$100 (he estimated etc since he didn't feel comfortable asking how much stuff was) so $100 was donated to the charity by us when the trip was over in addition to all of the other funds strangers saved him on the trip.

The "thank you" cards mailed out let the strangers know this since he didn't tell them directly at the time.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Well.. to be fair, Ty did not do himself any favours with his posting style back then.

I never really figured it out and it doesn't matter but I gave him the benefit of the doubt as being from a different generation with different values. I don't say that in a negative way, my son is 29 and we've had many good eye opening talks about how differently each generation sees things.

It's weird some times. If I didn't have the background as to why he thinks what he does I'd be like what??
I wasn't a member then so I cannot comment. We're in that 20-30 range so I totally understand! While both of his parents have passed away I've had many conversations with mine (as has he) about generational differences.

Originally Posted by adablduya
your partner HAD the money for the hotel
Clearly you missed my previous post where I said it wasn't in the budget. Hotels were an emergency option only. As such was the case when he was stuck in the blizzard. Otherwise he would have continued riding that night and stayed elsewhere.