Old 11-01-17, 07:30 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Properly adjusted BB7 work very well. I have road and MTB set-ups and both work just fine. There's no need for compressionless housing, that takes all the feel/progressiveness away. In the last 7 years I've never had to clean my rotors, just run 'em and enjoy the consistency and sureness. Once the pads get thin, slap in a new set.

Here's a great video that explains it very well. The most important point is getting the inner pad as close to the disc without rubbing, then set the outer pad to preference. Once BB7 are set up correctly all it takes is occasional adjustments of the pads for wear just like rim brakes. When I ride lift assist in Vail I adjust them at lunch. On my road bike after 2000 miles they're still untouched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasGJFtgq0A

When I worked at an LBS none of the other mechanics knew how to adjust BB7s. Most new bikes all come with hydros, bleeding brakes is much more common than setting up BB7s.
This is good to hear. My BB7s are on my Kona Sutra touring bike and I use it for daily commuting (so the rear panniers have at least a little bit in them all the time including rain gear). I'll get back to working on them this weekend.