View Single Post
Old 12-19-17, 07:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I guess the paradigm has changed from the first time you don't carry a tube you'll get a flat, to the first time you bother you'll be rewarded for doing so!

Tried taking my tires down to 4.5# this afternoon, and was rewarded with a flat at the furthest point from the parking lot. Thankfully I had just bought a seat bag capable of carrying a spare tube, I managed to change it and proceed, but it got me wondering: are there any good frame pumps for fat bikes? I got by with a Topeak Mini Dual G, which worked and wasn't too exhausting, but took a long time taking 23 min to replace and bring my rear tire up a few pounds to avoid a similar fate. Normally takes me about seven min on a road bike. Would be nice to find one with a gauge, since my fingers aren't calibrated to tell the difference between 3 and 6 psi, but I may be dreaming on that.

I will at some point go tubeless, so I don't need that idea, just looking for advice on pumps!
I have an older version of the Topeak mini floor pump:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...-road-morph--g

I've never repaired a flat on the road (the last time I flatted, I called AAA - AKA the wife - 'cause I was already running late). However, I have biked to a single-track trails with fresh snow, dumped pressure for the fresh snow. Then added air for the ride home on plowed trails. I found the Topeak good enough that I'm confident I could get a flat fixed in a reasonable time... I'd guess it'd take more time than a road bike, but less that 25 minutes.

I carry an old/check pressure gauge with me spare tube ... likely overkill.

PugPump.jpg