Old 12-21-17, 12:00 PM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Moulton bikes. Great bike or over engineered?

I demoed a Moulton last week and felt it was somewhat over engineered. My friend swears by it and he also has a Brompton. It's a really nice bike but is it worth twice the price of a Brompton. It was bouncy and not as fast as I hoped. I can't figure why my friend loves his Moulton as much as he does. It doesn't fold but does come apart. The video I watched of a guy taking it apart took time. I could take both wheels off my non folding bikes much faster and store the frame in a box faster. The price is one thing and I have bikes that cost as much but the Moulton seems over rated for my taste. After trying out the Moulton I'm going to buy a Soma Buena Vista frame and fork and switch out the components on a bike sitting around as I like the idea of a very low top tube.
It just seems to my view that Alex Moulton had some great ideas about bikes but went over board on the engineering. Alex Moulton's ideas could have been implemented in a simpler form at a lower price as far as I can see. The earlier frames seem to hold to his thinking and without the elitist form the bikes now have. Yes there is a need for elitist bikes as they move cycling forward but as for me the ride of the Moulton is just good not worth the price asking. I ask forgiveness from all Moulton owners but I just don't get why all the love from Moulton owners. After owning a Brompton for a few years I get all the love Brompton owners feel towards their bikes so maybe I would need to own a Moulton first but with Brompton it was love at first ride.