Old 01-03-18, 09:56 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My first commute of 2018! Unbelievably cold temps here in the Memphis area. This morning it was 18F. I have said previously I would only ride down to 20F, but I decided to brave it anyway since I have my e-bike and wouldn't be out in the cold as long as I would on the road bike (which is currently torn down to bits anyway).

Hiking boots with wool socks, thermal tights and sweat pants, base layer plus sweatshirt and lined softshell jacket, balaclava, and I broke out the ski goggles once again. The goggles never worked for me before, but I thought I would try them again since I've had less fogging issues on the e-bike. I did end up with a little bit of moisture, which then froze, and obscured part of my right eye vision. Luckily the goggles stayed clear on the left half, thankfully, since that's where my helmet mirror is.

My main issue was that I was lacking wind blocking in the "nether regions" which became painful towards the end, when I arrived at the office. 15 miles took right at 1 hour total time. This afternoon will be above freezing for the first time since Saturday so hopefully it won't be as painful.