Old 01-03-18, 10:12 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
My first commute of 2018! Unbelievably cold temps here in the Memphis area. This morning it was 18F. I have said previously I would only ride down to 20F, but I decided to brave it anyway since I have my e-bike and wouldn't be out in the cold as long as I would on the road bike (which is currently torn down to bits anyway).

Hiking boots with wool socks, thermal tights and sweat pants, base layer plus sweatshirt and lined softshell jacket, balaclava, and I broke out the ski goggles once again. The goggles never worked for me before, but I thought I would try them again since I've had less fogging issues on the e-bike. I did end up with a little bit of moisture, which then froze, and obscured part of my right eye vision. Luckily the goggles stayed clear on the left half, thankfully, since that's where my helmet mirror is.

My main issue was that I was lacking wind blocking in the "nether regions" which became painful towards the end, when I arrived at the office. 15 miles took right at 1 hour total time. This afternoon will be above freezing for the first time since Saturday so hopefully it won't be as painful.
You should get some windblocking pants. I know Uniqlo sells some nice looking chinos that block wind. I was able to snag a great set of thermal, windblocking bib pants last year when a shop was closing down for all of 60 bucks. Previous to that, I just had a pair of thermal cycling pants without the windblocking. I'll never wear those in extreme cold again!