Old 01-07-18, 11:32 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I'll start.

Did the Early Bird training crit in Fremont today; rode over with about seven guys from the team - best turnout in a while! It's a small event, so only 20 total.

Since the race was so small and our team was so big, we decided to split up in half and race against each other; black vs blue (two different kit colors).
@Ygduf & @aaronmcd were there in blue. I was in black.

I'm happy to report I executed the first attack of 2018; went pretty much from the gun. It didn't last long though. Funny how you forget just how hard racing actually is, after a "winter" of group rides and solo training rides.

I was in a few failed moves, one with @Ygduf but we both felt like crap so it didn't last but one or two laps.
@Ygduf had the break of the day tho; solo for three or four laps (1-mile laps, mind you), but was reeled in by the pack and his buddy who came along with us. I might've chased a little too, but hey were weren't on the same team today!

In the final lap he said "I'm going from the first corner" which I thought meant he was helping with he leadout, so I said "no, too early." It was indeed too early and he blew up shortly after. Then he tells me "no I said NOT to follow my attack!" Oh, lol; then it made sense.. I should have waited.

I was leading out a sprinter on my team. Ended up on the front way earlier than I wanted to, but did just over a minute of going hard, and eventually ramping it up (to only about 32 mph, I'm weak). My sprinter won, so it all worked out!

Can't believe race season is here, more or less. Seems like it just ended a month ago.

my race videos